This is the first time I have ever made a gluten free cake, and it had mixed reviews. Overall it was positive, but if you are expecting a traditional cake it may take a few bites to get used to.
6oz Caster Sugar
6oz Gluten free white self raising flour - sieved
1tbsp Poppy seeds
2 heaped tbsp Icing sugar
Oven temperature 180 degress C /Gas Mark 4
1. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Grate the rind from 1 lemon.
3. Beat in the eggs gradually with a tablespoon of the flour, then fold in the remaining flour with the lemon, poppy seeds and juice of half a lemon.
4. Line a 7 inch loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
5. Spoon in the mixture.
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
8. Once the cake is cold, mix the icing sugar and 5 tsp of lemon juice in a bowl - it needs to be thick but spreadable.
9. Spoon onto the top of the cake, allowing drips to run down the side of the cake.
10. Leave icing to set before cutting.